Unearthed Hackathon 2017
This was my first hackathon. I walked in with a friend and formed we formed a team with a few other guys we met on the evening, and yeah, somehow we won!
Update [26 April]: Charlie has made an awesome portfolio of the project
How? We actually came up with a working solution and the team made an awesome pitch.
This year’s hackathon had Origin Energy as the main sponsor, and contestants had three industry challenges to choose from. Here’s a quick summary of what I liked.
- We were given real data (including 30 Gb of vehicle/driver GPS data) to play with.
- Challenges were specific but general enough to be approached very differently.
- Judges seemed to see through the teams that faked their final solutions.
- Industry representatives (especially from Origin) were very helpful.
- The food awesome :)
- The prizes are pretty good.
And what I disliked
- Judges were all non-technical
- River City Labs needs more space! (they’re actually moving out to the new precinct in a few weeks)
- Unearthed seems to be very focused on accelerating teams out of hackathons into startups, even when products are clearly unfeasable (probably even ours).
Overall a great experience.